Wednesday 30 July 2014

Spinach and Chickpea Cheesy Cutlets

Sometimes cooking only for yourself can be quite satisfying and rewarding too. You can cook what "you" want to eat and how. My husband is not fond of cheese and so I need to avoid it for most of my dishes. However, I was having this craving for cheese stuffed croquettes or cutlets since quite some time but was not really getting a chance until last evening when husband told me that he has a dinner meeting and won't be home for dinner. I was happy that finally I get to eat something my way and immediately looked into my fridge to see what I have for making some cutlets. I had some boiled chickpeas and frozen spinach and corn. The perfect healthy cheese stuffed cutlets were now just a step away!
                                
Ingredients
1 cup boiled chickpeas
1 cup spinach, blanched and drained
1/3 cup corn kernels, lightly boiled
1" piece ginger grated
1 green chilli
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin powder 
Salt to taste
2-3 tbsp wheat germ for binding and coating (bread crumbs can also be used)
Cheddar cheese for the stuffing
Oil for frying

Direction
Take the boiled chickpeas and grind it in a blender till smooth. To this, add the blanched spinach and ginger and pulse a few more times till a nice green color is reached. Now take the mixture out onto a bowl and add the corn, spices, and wheatgerm/bread crumbs and mix well. Take small plum sized mixture in your hands and put a tsp of grated cheese or a small chopped chunk of cheese in the center and close it from all sides. Now coat this in a layer of bread crumbs or wheat germ kept in a separate plate and keep aside. Continue the same process for the rest of the mixture.
Now heat oil in a shallow frying pan or grill plate and start frying the breaded cutlets till golden on both sides. Serve hot with condiments of your choice.
                                  
                                  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment