Monday 16 June 2014

Sweet and Spicy Iranian Carrot Pickle

I saw this recipe almost 3 months back and ever since, it was on my mind. In fact, I had bought my first pack of dried apricots just for this recipe and while I still kept fiddling with the thought of making it, the apricots managed to score highest on my favorite dry fruit list and now a regular in my pantry. Some more months would have still passed by before I could make this pickle when finally yesterday I did some jar shopping and I knew now is the time. Not that the recipe is difficult to make, in fact it is one of the simplest ones to make. I was just occupied with a few more important things and today when I finally made it, I realize what I had been missing all this while. The recipe was shared by a very talented fellow food blogger Amrita Gill which was passed on to her by her Iranian friend in her college days. A must try recipe, especially if you love your pickles and chutneys!
                                
Ingredients
2 cups carrot grated
1 1/2 cups fine grain sugar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (can be replaced with sugarcane vinegar or apple cider vinegar or any sweet vinegar)
1/3 cup dried apricots sliced
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup dates (I did not add as I do not like)
3 cloves garlic finely chopped
1/4 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp heaped red chilli powder
Salt to taste

Direction
Soak the apricots and raisins in the vinegar overnight in the refrigerator, preferably in a glass bowl. 
Heat a pan and add the carrots followed by the sugar. Strain the soaked apricots and raisins and add the soaked vinegar from the bowl. Let the mixture come to a boil while stirring continuously on a medium flame. Now add the chopped garlic, soaked and strained fruits followed by the spices. Mix everything well and let the mixture reduce while stirring in between. When all the liquid evaporates, remove from heat and transfer to glass jar or bowl and keep the lid open.  Refrigerate once completely cool. Enjoy with a wide range of Indian breads, fritters, samosas, or anything that you fancy!
                                     


6 comments:

  1. Is it really only 1/4 cup balsamic? I am not left with much liquid after soaking a cup of dried fruit overnight. Is that normal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It will stay good as long as you use a clean spoon and keep in a cool dry place

      Delete
  3. I had no vinegar left at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At what stage do one add the dates?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried this recipe, had to add another 1 1/2 cup of vinegar just to get it boiling. This recipe looks really delicious, but it is a total disaster as is.

    ReplyDelete