Wednesday 18 June 2014

Middle Eastern Lemon Yogurt Grilled Chicken

Sometimes it is best to go by the recipes which have given you satisfactory results in the past rather than venturing out to try new recipes for the same. The same happened with me last evening when I set out to try a new recipe for Pita Bread instead of following my own which I had done in the past with quite satisfactory results. Neither of my Pita puffed up this time and was quite a disappointment. I would not say that the recipe was wrong since the same one was tried by my friend with wonderful results. May be it was just not my day. The bread was yummy and soft, nevertheless, but minus the pockets. To go with it, I had marinated some chicken in Middle Eastern Style and the way it turned out once grilled totally compensated for all the Pita disappointment. Juicy, flavorsome, soft, and succulent, this grilled chicken was one of the yummiest grilled chicken I have had in recent times!

Ingredients
500 gms chicken boneless breast (I used with bones)
3 tbsp thick yogurt
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp red chilli flakes
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil to grease the baking dish

Direction
In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the marinade and add the chicken, washed and cut. Coat the chicken properly and prick with a fork all over. Marinate for a minimum of 2 hours and upto overnight. 
Pre-heat the oven at 220 degree celsius. Line a baking tray with aluminium foil and grease it with oil. Arrange the chicken pieces in a single layer and discard the marinade. Grill in the pre heated oven for 15 minutes while flipping once in 10 minutes. You can also pan sear the chicken in a shallow frying pan.
                                       

2 comments:

  1. Hi Priyanka, I will try this for sure! Looks yummy and healthy too! Question - Would it grill to perfection in just 15 mins if I use chicken with bones? Also, do I need to cover the pan with foil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anisha, thanks for stopping by. 15 mins in my oven was good enough for it to get cooked and get a slight crust. The dish needs to retain the flavors of the marinade and grilling for longer period for a crustier outside might make it loose the flavors. You can compare this with the Indian chicken malai kababs. Hope that helps.

      Delete