Monday 26 May 2014

Egyptian Dessert with Couscous

I know you must be wondering what is wrong with me to keep posting recipes with couscous. The fact is, there are a few new ingredients I have recently come across and I really want to experiment with those. However, knowing myself, I know that once I buy those set of ingredients, I am sure to ignore this jar of couscous for another couple of months until maybe it gets spoilt. That would definitely not make me a good homemaker! Besides, I have no space in my pantry for any new jar and so I want to get done with the couscous and happily refill the jar with something equally interesting. After yesterday's superhit Couscous Pizza, I spent some time in the night looking for more variations and was quite happy to fish this super easy recipe popular in Egypt. I reduced the recipe to 1/4th as I wasn't too sure about the taste, which was pleasantly different and refreshing. Also, it is low on calories and so even more reason to eat and be happy!
                                         


Ingredients
1/4 cup couscous
1/2 cup fruit juice (I used orange juice)
2 tsp butter
2 tbsp almond pistachio meal (take a handful of almonds and pistachios and grind them. You can either remove the skin of the almonds or keep it)
2-3 tbsp crushed candied/roasted almonds
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinammon sugar for sprinkling

Direction
Bring the fruit juice to a boil and switch off the gas. Now add the couscous and mix. Let it stand for 10 minutes. Now fork the couscous and stir in the melted butter. Mix well. Add the almond pistachio meal and mix again. Lastly add the brown sugar and mix. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar. Top it with the crushed almonds and chill until served.
                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment