Thursday 24 April 2014

Sweet and Spicy Apple Cranberry Relish

In the kitchen, usually one thing leads to the other. While I was making my bread at home yesterday, I suddenly remembered my three bright shiny apples lying sad in the fridge. With a box of dried cranberries also at hand, I immediately jumped upon the idea of making a yummy relish to go with my beautiful bread. While I did not start making the chutney until I sliced my bread ( I wasn't sure if it would be good to eat), I jumped up with joy as this was the most delicious wholemeal bread I have tasted or had made in recent times. From there, it took me just under 1/2 hour to get the relish ready and what a combination it was! I will be making some pooris as well over the weekend to enjoy this delicious chutney apart from having it with bread.

                                         

Ingredients
3 firm apples, either finely chopped or grated
1/2 cup dried cranberries or 1/3 cup raisins
1 medium onion chopped
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp cumin powder
11/2 tsp chilli powder
3-4 tbsp brown sugar ( you may as well try with jaggery or simple white fine sugar)
1/4 cup balsamic or cider vinegar (can add regular vinegar too but lesser in quantity. If using jaggery, no need for vinegar) 
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp olive oil

Direction
In a pan, heat the oil and add the onions. Fry till pink. Now add the apples, cranberries, and all other spices. Mix well. Add the sugar and salt. Mix again. Now, add the vinegar and cover and cook on a medium to low flame for about 15-20 minutes until the fruits are softened and the gravy is getting thickened. Check the seasoning and adjust as per taste. Keep stirring more often now as the liquid is drying up and there are chances of it getting burnt. Remove from heat and store in a glass bowl or container. Remains good for upto 1 week in the refrigerator, if it lasts that long though. Here is how I relished my Relish!
                                       

 

No comments:

Post a Comment