Sunday 5 January 2014

Nolen Gurer Muffins (Date Palm Jaggery Muffins)

The first thing I did when I landed in Kolkata for my week long holiday recently was to ask my uncle to get me some good quality Nolen Gur to carry to Singapore. I had seen some superb recipes in the beginning of the winters in Kolkata through one of my fellow bloggers, Amrita Gill, and was quite excited to try them. However, I had to wait until my India trip and the moment I got back to Singapore, I fished out the recipe from her blog and my delicious muffins were ready in no time. I am so impressed and happy with the results that I will be making them again for my daughter's birthday as mini muffins to be given away to her playgroup friends. Thank you Amrita for the superb recipe!

Ingredients
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup nolen gur/date palm jaggery
1/2 cup butter
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
Almond silvers for garnishing

Direction
In a bowl, take the softened butter and whisk. To this, add grated jaggery and mix further. You can use a food processor for easy and even mixing. Now add the egg and beat further. Sift the flour and baking powder and fold into the butter mixture. If you find the batter too thick, you can add 1-2 tbsp of milk. The batter, however, will not be as runny as normal cake batter. 
Pre-heat the oven to 160 degree celsius. Line a muffin tray with paper liners and add spoonfuls of the batter into the moulds. Gently sprinkle some almond silvers on top of the batter. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and golden on top. Store in air-tight containers and enjoy these blissful muffins with a hot cup of tea or coffee.
                                        





2 comments:

  1. this sounds so simple and yum...am going to try it this weekend itself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent pics......will soon try out...do visit my space too....I would really appreciate that...........http://anjalisfoodkaleidoscope.blogspot.in/...........you need not publish the comment if the link that i have left is anot to be done...Thanks

    ReplyDelete